Abilene Money Laundering Lawyer
Defending Those Who Have Been Accused Of Money Laundering in Texas
At Keith & Lorfing, we are committed to delivering top-notch legal representation to individuals facing money laundering charges in Texas. If you or a loved one has been accused of money laundering, you need an Abilene money laundering lawyer to protect your rights and defend your case. Money laundering is a serious offense in Texas, and the consequences can be severe.
Call Keith & Lorfing today at (325) 308-6960 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our money laundering attorney in Abilene.
What is Money Laundering?
Money laundering is a complex financial crime involving disguising illegally obtained money's origins. Essentially, it is the process of making "dirty" money appear "clean" by funneling it through a series of transactions and financial institutions. Money laundering typically involves three stages:
- Placement: The illicit funds are introduced into the financial system at this stage. This can be accomplished by depositing cash into bank accounts, purchasing assets, or engaging in other financial transactions.
- Layering: In this phase, the goal is to obscure the source of the funds. Money launderers often engage in a series of complex transactions, including transferring funds between accounts, making international transfers, and purchasing assets or investments, to create a confusing paper trail.
- Integration: The "cleaned" money is reintroduced into the legitimate economy in the final stage. This can involve investing in businesses, purchasing real estate, or simply using the funds for legal purposes.
Texas law, like federal law, prohibits money laundering, and those found guilty can encounter severe penalties.
What are the Penalties for Money Laundering in Texas?
The penalties for money laundering in Texas are significant and depend on the amount of money involved in the illegal activity.The penalties for money laundering in Texas can include:
- State Jail Felony: Money laundering involving less than $2,500 is classified as a state jail felony, resulting in 180 days to 2 years of incarceration and a fine that can reach up to $10,000.
- Third-Degree Felony: Money laundering involving between $2,500 and $30,000 is classified as a third-degree felony and leads to 2 to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Second-Degree Felony: Money laundering involving $30,000 and $150,000 is classified as a second-degree felony resulting in 2 to 20 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000.
- First-Degree Felony: Money laundering involving more than $150,000 is classified as a first-degree felony leading to 5 to 99 years of imprisonment and fines that can reach up to $10,000.
Defenses Against Money Laundering Charges
Some potential defenses against money laundering charges may include:
- Lack of Knowledge: Proving that you were unaware of the illegal origins of the funds can be a valid defense against money laundering charges.
- Insufficient Evidence: If the prosecution lacks adequate evidence to prove your involvement in money laundering beyond a reasonable doubt, we can challenge their case.
- Violation of Rights: If law enforcement had violated your constitutional rights at the time of the investigation or arrest, evidence obtained through such violations may be suppressed in court.
- Duress: This could be a valid defense if you had been coerced or threatened into participating in money laundering.
Contact Our Abilene Money Laundering Attorney Today
If you face money laundering charges in Texas, seeking legal representation immediately is important. The effects of a money laundering conviction can be life-altering, and you need a knowledgeable and experienced attorney on your side. At Keith & Lorfing, our Abilene money laundering lawyer understands the complexities of these cases and will work tirelessly to protect your rights and formulate a robust defense tailored to your specific case. Your future is at stake, and we are here to fight for you.
Contact Keith & Lorfing today to get started on your defense with our Abilene money laundering lawyer.
A lawyer who demonstrated high morals and professionalism in the representation of his clients.- Scott F., Former United States Magistrate Judge
You to me are family, not just my lawyer.- Jacqueline T.
His help also provided me with the confidence I needed to stand tall.- Jaren C.
Absolutely an amazing man, and an honest one at that.- Klayton W.
Mr. Lorfing was absolutely great!- Ashley H.